Clear Aligners – Beverly Hills, CA
A See-Through Alternative to Braces
As an adult, you may be reluctant to ask for orthodontic treatment. After all, it’s hard to maintain a professional image or go out on a date when there are unsightly metal braces attached to your smile! But there is an alternative for older patients who still want to straighten their teeth: clear aligners. These convenient, see-through devices will fix alignment and bite problems in your mouth without drawing unwanted attention! If you want to learn more about clear aligners in Beverly Hills, contact our practice today.
What are Clear Aligners?
While traditional braces rely on metal brackets and wires to move teeth into the desired position, clear aligners are made out of plastic that you can see through. Each one is custom made for you and you alone, and you’ll receive multiple aligners depending on the extent of the changes that need to be made.
While clear aligners may not be the best solution for particularly severe orthodontic problems, they can still correct a wide variety of issues, including:
- Crooked teeth
- Mildly or moderately crowded teeth
- Minor spacing problems (small gaps)
- Some cases of underbite, overbite or crossbite
How Do Clear Aligners Work?
After your aligners have been created using impressions of your mouth as a starting point, you’ll wear them one at a time for a week or two each. You should keep your aligners in your mouth for 22 hours a day (or however long we recommend) to ensure that your treatment stays on schedule. As you move through the aligners, your teeth will slowly but surely reach the ideal place. Clear aligners don’t need to be adjusted in the same way braces do, but you will still have to come back to our practice periodically so that Dr. Valentine can make sure everything’s going according to plan.
How Long Will I Need to Wear Clear Aligners?
Treatment time varies from patient to patient. Obviously, more complex cases will take longer to correct. You can usually expect to need your aligners for several months, with the exact amount of time depending on the number of aligners needed. That said, certain situations – such as an adult who had braces as a child and whose teeth have shifted only slightly – may be treated in much less time. Don’t worry; during your initial consultation we’ll let you know how long the process may take so that you can start planning ahead!
What are the Advantages of Clear Aligners?
- They’re See-Through: Most people won’t even realize you’re wearing clear aligners unless they already know what to look for. You can feel free to laugh and smile all you want.
- They’re Removable: You can eat whatever you want with clear aligners. Simply take them out, and you’ll be able to enjoy all of your favorite foods without worrying about damaging your appliance.
- They’re Easy to Clean: Simply remove your aligners to rinse and brush them on a regular basis. You’ll also be able to brush and floss like you normally would.