December 27, 2019
According to the American Dental Association, one main reason why adults in America don’t visit their dentist is because they’re afraid to. Fear, anxiety, and worry are three emotions that can have a drastic impact on your mental and physical health and keep you from picking up the phone and receiving the dental care that you need. Fortunately, you’re not alone, which is why your sedation dentist in Beverly Hills offers multiple solutions to help you feel comfortable, safe, and relaxed while getting the care that you need. Read on to learn how sedation dentistry can benefit you.
Individualized Sedation Dentistry
When you visit your dentist to learn about sedation, they’ll collect information about your health and medical history to safely and best meet your individual needs. That way, you can have a comfortable experience without worrying about a thing.
There are several types of sedation that can benefit certain patients depending on the severity of their anxiety, what type of treatment they’re having completed, and their preference of how they’d like it administered. When you visit your sedation dentist for a consultation, they’ll discuss all of your options with you and make sure that you have a great experience.
Types of Sedation
If your fear or anxiety has prevented you from picking up the phone and scheduling that root canal you’ve been needing, or even a dental cleaning that you’ve been long overdue for, your sedation dentist may suggest one of the following options:
- Oral Conscious Sedation: Administered via a pill, this form of sedation helps combat anxiety for patients who need moderate sedation. Because you’ll take it before you arrive to your appointment, you’ll feel relaxed and at ease as soon as you walk through the door.
- Nitrous Oxide Sedation: You may have heard nitrous oxide referred to as “laughing gas.” This is a form of sedation that’s breathed in through a loose-fitting mask that fits over your nose. Once it’s placed on your face, the effects kick in almost immediately.
- IV Sedation: Intravenous sedation is administered directly into the bloodstream to take immediate effect. It’s one of the deepest form of conscious sedation that is a great option for patients who have extreme anxiety or are having a long treatment.
- General Anesthesia: General anesthesia is the only form of sedation that ensures patients are completely unconscious and unaware during the procedure. This is typically only used in complex or very long treatments.
Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
No matter your age or the type of treatment you’re receiving, there are countless benefits you could reap from discussing sedation dentistry in Beverly Hills with your dentist. Here are some advantages you’d be able to enjoy:
- Reduced gag reflex.
- Your dentist can work faster.
- Comfortable and stress-free dentistry.
- Better oral health.
- No long-term side-effects.
If you’d like to learn more about how you can have a good experience at your dentist’s office, ask them about whether you would be a good candidate for any of their sedation methods. That way, you can take care of your oral health without sacrificing your mental health.
About the Author
Dr. Julie Valentine has been providing the community of Beverly Hills with exceptional and comfortable dental care for over 25 years. She takes pride in creating a warm and relaxing environment for her patients to receive dental care in. That’s why she offers several sedation methods, so her patients can choose the one that’s best for them. For questions or to schedule a consultation, visit her website or call 310-551-2955.
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.